Cartographica Neerlandica Map Text for Ortelius Map No. 045


Text (translated from the 1598 Dutch, 1598 French, 1601 Latin, 1602 German, 1602 Spanish, 1603 Latin, 1606 English, 1608/1612 Italian, 1609/1612/1641 Spanish and 1609/1612 Latin edition).

45.1. 1598D{The land of CALAIS and BOULOGNE.

45.2. {not in 1608/1612I, 1609L/1612L{THis Map contains the description of that {not in 1598F{Northwestern}not in 1598F} part of France which the English ruled {1606E, not in 1609/1612/1641S{from the year 1347}1606E} to the year 1557, at which time the Duke of Guise, {1606E{Lieutenant of the French King}1606E}, took it <back> by force of weapons in the name of the King of France. The towns of Calais, Guisnes and Ardres were furnished by the English from time to time with strong garrisons. And Calais used to be the Staple for Wool {1606E{and other English commodities}1606E}{not in 1606E{which since then was transferred to Brugghe, where it still is}not in 1606E, 1608/1612I, 1609/1612/1641S & 1609/1612L}. {1601L, 1602G, 1602S, 1603L & 1608/1612I begin here{Concerning the area of Boulongne this is what Robert Cúnalis says in the second book and third Chapter of his De re Gallica. About Gessoriacum, a port of the Morini, I may well say with Meierus that it is now truly called Boulongne on the sea shore, from where it is only thirty miles {1601L, 1602G, 1602S, 1603L, 1606E & 1608/1612I have instead{a very short trip}1601L, 1602G, 1602S, 1603L, 1606E & 1608/1612I instead} to Dover on the English coast {1598F only{or seven of our miles}1598F only}. {not in 1601L, 1602G, 1602S, 1603L, 1606E, 1608/1612I, 1609/1612/1641S & 1609L/1612L{Calais was once called Iccius Portus, as most writers think, for some are of the opinion that it was called Boulogne, because it is about equally far from Dover, but they must mean Gessoriacus Portus, as Rhenanus proves on the basis of an old manuscript map}not in 1601L, 1602G, 1602S, 1603L, 1606E, 1608/1612I & 1609S/1612/1641S}. {1602G{But the Dock or place for building ships}1602G} (called{not in 1609/1612L{Navale Gessoriacum}not in 1609/1612L}, which Bilibaldus falsely claims to be Gent) I rather think to be Castellum, now named Cassel. Some call it by a different name <viz.> Petressa and Scalas, commonly Scales.
45.3. Moreover, by the location of Boulongne one may easily find out whether it was once Portus Iccus or not. That no doubt may remain, let us learn what follows from Strabo <viz.> That the sea between Portus Iccus and England was just 320 stadia or furlongs to the other side, which makes it in all 40 {1602G only{Welsh}1602G only} miles. But later Maps show between Boulongne and Dover <only> 17 {1601L, 1602G, 1602S, 1603L, 1608/1612I & 1609L/1612L have instead{16}1601L, 1602G, 1602S, 1603L, 1608/1612I & 1609L/1612L instead} English miles, which are longer than Italian miles, and from Calais 18. From this it becomes clear that from Boulongne to Dover is only a very short crossing. For this reason Portus Gessoriacus the port and Navale Gessoriacum the dock are not one and the same. Who thinks that this dock seems to have stood where Calais now stands will not be contradicted by me. So far for Cúnalis {1602G has instead{Strabo}1602G instead}.
45.4. This very place of Boulongne is described by Arnoldus Ferronius (who extends the French history of Paulus ∆milius up till his own time) in the following manner}1602G}. There is (he says) Base Boulongne and High Boulongne, {not in 1601L, 1602G, 1602S, 1603L, 1606E, 1608/1612I, 1609/1612/1641S & 1609/1612L{as you can see here}not in 1601L, 1602G, 1602S, 1603L, 1606E, 1608/1612I, 1609/1612/1641S & 1609/1612L}. {1601L{The base town was unwalled before the arrival of the English. There stands the church of St. Nicholas and a cloister of the Franciscans. The English sea beats upon <the coast of> this town. Near this Friary, which is not far from the sea, there is a very commodious place to pass to England}1601L}. It is distant from the higher Boulongne about one Italian mile {1601L, 1602G, 1602S, 1603L, 1606E, 1608/1612I, 1609/1612/1641S & 1609/1612L have instead{100 strides or somewhat more}1601L, 1602G, 1602S, 1603L, 1606E, 1608/1612I, 1609/1612/1641S & 1609/1612L instead}, {not in 1601L, 1602G, 1603L, 1606E, 1608/1612I, 1609S/1612S & 1609L/1612L{and this was only a village before the English came here in 1544. Here is also an ancient monument, a very high stone tower, which the inhabitants claim to have been built by Iulius Cśsar. The French call it le Tour d'Ordre, and the English The Old Man}not in 1601L, 1602G, 1603L, 1606E, 1608/1612I, 1609/1612/1641S & 1609/1612L}. But Boulongne the higher is surrounded by very strong walls, with high ditches around the walls. {1601L{All this region is full of the kind of sand which those that dwell on the coast call hot sand. For this reason they think that the name of Boulongne was derived from the French word that refers to this kind of sand, in spite of the fact that we know it from Ammianus Marcellinus to be an ancient name. So much from Ferronius. Concerning these matters <also> read Divśus}1601L}.

45.5. VERMANDOIS.

45.6. THis Region which was of old inhabited by the Veromandui. {not in 1601L, 1602G, 1602S, 1603L, 1606E, 1608/1612I, 1609/1612/1641S & 1609/1612L{The main town is St. Quintin, located at the river Somme. In the year 1557 it has been captured by force by King Philippe, beating the French, but it was later returned to them, together with Han and Chastelet which had also been taken}not in 1601L, 1602G, 1602S, 1603L, 1606E, 1608/1612I, 1609/1612/1641S & 1609/1612L}. {1601L{<while> still retaining its old name, is now called Vermandois. From here spring the rivers Somme and Schelde}1601L}. In former times here stood the city called Augusta Veromanduorum {not in 1601L, 1602G, 1602S, 1603L, 1608/1612I & 1609/1612L{as reported by Iacobus Marchantius}not in 1601L, 1602G, 1602S, 1603L, 1608/1612I & 1609/1612L}, now razed <to the ground> except for a Monastery which <still> remains (as Robert Cúnalis reports). {1601L{This city was once the see of a Bishop, but under its Bishop Medardus it was moved from there to Noion, as Carolus Bouillus reports. In spite of this the place has retained its ancient name, and is called Vermand-abbey.
45.7. Therefore those seem to be in error who think the town of St. Quintin {1601L, 1602G, 1602S, 1603L, 1608/1612I & 1609/1612L only{as it is now called}1601L, 1602G, 1602S, 1603L, 1608/1612I & 1609/1612L only} to have been Augusta Veromanduorum. Concerning the people of this region, read Peter Divśus' book of the antiquities of Gallia Belgica}1601L, 1602G, 1602S & 1603L end here}{1608/1612I only{or Germania Inferior and other neighbouring regions}1608/1612I only}. {not in 1602S, 1603L, 1606E, 1608/1612I, 1609/1612/1641S & 1609/1612L{Here you see the source of two famous rivers, the Somme and the Schelde, which originate not far from each other}not in 1602S, 1603L, 1606E, 1608/1612I, 1609/1612/1641S & 1609/1612L} © Marcel van den Broecke ©.

Bibliographical sources


For questions/comments concerning this page, please e-mail info@orteliusmaps.com.
The software that generates this website is available for sale. For more information, contact Thomer M. Gil.
This page has been generated on Mon Jan 16 21:35:00 2006.